Europa-List: Monowheel Speed Kit

Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel Speed Kit
From: Justin Kennedy <justin@systemwise.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:55:25
Hi All

We made our own speed kit consisting only of outrigger fairings and wing
root fairings. While both are unlike the normal ones we felt the wing
fairings made the biggest difference. We have no other speed kit
elements, even the tail wheel is naked.

I designed our wing fairings based on the extensive work done in this
area in WW2. This is why they are not unlike the Spitfire ones. They are
also less than the optimum shape as the fuselage still has to fit in the
trailer.

My monowheel G-ZTED cruises at 130 kts at 1370 pounds at 1000ft on a
standard day. G-ZTED is a Classic with 912S and an Airmaster Prop. &
Warp Drive blades.

William Mills and I had taken flash mouldings of my wing fairings just
before his accident. While William had wanted a set for his aircraft we
had intended to see if there was enough interest and arrange for someone
to make more of them.

The maximum speed is more about drag and while I don't have a 914 it is
perhaps worth a mention that when I set it up for a cruise decent of 250
ft a minute, put the propeller to manual and coursen it up to produce
4800 RPM I get 155 kts which is a whisker off 180mph (test done with two
opposite direction runs on the GPS). This is a reasonable test because
you are beginning to hit a wall of drag. It can go a bit faster in this
mode as there is a little spare boost below 4000ft but I am reluctant to
fly without a margin below Vne.

I also flew with Ivan Shaw in formation. He was on our starboard wing in
another Europa. When we throttled right back for the decent he commented
that he was having to use a significant amount of throttle to keep up.

I know this is all not very scientific but it does appear that, with no
speed kit, our fairings make us slippier than most.

I am happy to do more scientific tests if someone can say what. I am
still trying to get 73 and the first stage of 74 signed off. I have done
the work but the inspector is indisposed.

Safe flying to all.

Justin

Justin Kennedy G-ZTED Classic Monowheel 912S Airmaster with Warp Drive
blades

Flying Story

I am having loads of fun with mine.

The Europa is a great aircraft and it keeps coming up with extra
thrills. I was flying from Scotland to Belfast City in the Spring.
Flying South over the Mull of Kintyre with tail wind of 55kts at 8000ft.
I started out across the Irish Sea with 140 kts indicated, corrected for
height that would be around 150kt plus. The 55kt tail wind made the GPS
ground speed 206 kts. I calculated that I had better start my cruise
decent if I was to enter Belfast Loch at 2000ft. I had to throttle back
a bit but the GPS ground speed gave 215kts for the first part of the
decent which is a whopping 247 mph. Does that count as a dive to Vne?
Not quite. It is alright for those used to it but as a lowly PPL the map
features on the East coast of Ireland did not hang around long enough to
be identified. I nearly missed Belfast City altogether. I had to climb
again to slow up and had to side slip on the approach as I had a lot of
height to lose.  All very untidy but within limits.  The wind was 25kts
about 10 degrees off the runway which I find the Europa quite likes and
I landed taxied in taildragger style taking care not to get blown over
(propellers costing what they do). I turned into wind rolled to halt and
shut down.

Wow!

The radar controller met me on the stairs up to flight briefing. He said
they had watched me all the way down the coast and were more than
surprised at the tiny little white dot that appeared on the approach.
All on 18 litres an hour I told him.

I can't get enough of this stuff.

JK

==