RE: Europa-List: Monowheel speed kit

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Monowheel speed kit
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:39:20
I believe the biggest improvement in reducing drag would be found in the
engine cowl area.  Closing off the gills would be the first thing (they
add no value to the plane).  Second would be to clean up the radiator
opening and following duct, it is too large for the size of this engine
and is rather messy.  Then clean up the radiator exit, it is very messy
back there.  We carefully installed the Kim Prout main gear fairings and
saw ZERO improvement in cruise speed, which leads me to believe that the
lower cowl exit is so turbulent that fairing in the main gear (or even
retracting it) has little value.  A magazine flight test on the Europa
motor glider reported that there was no improvement in glide performance
gear up vs gear down, which further supports my suspicion on the cowl
problems.

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD, XS mono-wheel with 912S.