RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:23:25

It must a sign that the Europa is dearer to our hearts than we care to admit
that
any talk of changing an accepted design evokes such emotional and polarised
reaction. (.....and I would rather experience this than an apathetic silence!)

As I see it there are two distinct issues:
1) Identifying and remedying the specific cause(s) of the G-HOFC incident.
2) Addressing the three design/assembly weaknesses in the Europa tail (yes 3
....we
have only discussed two so far, I'll save the third for later) that will
guarantee a trustworthy and re-saleable aircraft.

None of us knows for certain the cause of the accident, but we have identified
definite design weaknesses during the search,  TP5/TP6/pip-pin retention and
secure
locking of TP9/TP12.

It is not unreasonable or in any way "knee jerk" engineering for members the
group
to consider the problems and proffer ideas for solutions. This is healthy
discussion and some pretty good ideas have emerged. In any other situation, this
would be called "brainstorming" and would be considered good. It is the nature
of the beast that you will rarely get everyone to agree.

The fact that the aircraft has flown for thousands of hours without incident is
in no way an indication that there is no problem, (talk to anybody at
Moreton-Thiakol
about Space Shuttle propulsion systems) all it takes is the right (wrong)
conditions.
The nature of failures so far is directly related to the pattern/frequency of
aircraft
use. High-time aircraft or those used on rough strips run an increased
risk of something in the tail failing.

Ultimately, the regulating authorities will mandate changes considered "mission
critical", and every individual has the freedom to invent his own solution and
submit it to his regulator for approval.

Nigel