Re: Europa-List: Tailplane Flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane Flutter
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:08:42

Im not saying we shouldnt be concerned about the amount of slop in the
tailplanes. The PFA's current limit of 1/2 inch would seem to be reasonable.

We checked ours last week - as soon as we recieved the PFA bulletins and
found 3/8" movement between the tailplanes and a total of 5/8" movement when
the counterbalance arm was locked against the top fuselage stop and both
tailplanes moved up and down (hope that makes sense). Note - the second
measurement is not a requirement of the original 1999 PFA bulletin though it
goes on to say that no play is acceptable between TP04 an TP09.

We promptly installed Mod 62 and have concluded that the original 1/4" pins
had probably always been a loose fit - either due to poor manufacture or
installation. Unfortunately 13 years ago when we were building the aircraft
we didnt understand the implications of loose fitting pins.

The aircraft had its annual in March and we did the dive to 150kts twice -
once with Andy Draper at the controls and once with me. Im sure if anything
had been amiss Andy would have noticed. We also did a series of stalls and
incipient spins and again no problems were found.

One point I would mention is that there is no official Annual Inspection
checklist for the Europa fuselage (as far as I am aware) and I believe this
issue should be addressed. The current regime relies on the owner and
inspectors vigilance in noticing defects and potential problems. Some
inspectors will have more experience with Europa related issues and others
less so.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions, I should make it clear that Andy
Draper did not conduct the annual inspection - only the test flight. The
annual inspection was none the less a thorough one.

So the business of tailplane flutter is a bit of a mystery.