Europa-List: Tailplane Flutter

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane Flutter
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:53:03

For what its worth, I believe the cause of this accident has nothing to do
with "wear" in the tailplane assemblies. I base my "theory" on the simple
fact that many Europas have flown many flying hours with no reported
evidence of tailplane flutter.

Wear and tear is a fact of engineering life and the current Mod 62 seems to
be as good a design as any.  Reports from the field suggest that with Mod 62
done properly, subsequent wear is minimal.  Undoubtedly there are
potentially better designs out there - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My other concern is that changing a reasonably good design could move the
problem elsewhere - how much damage is being done by builders kneeling in
the back end of their fuselages - the push/ pull tube is very vunerable and
simply cant be removed.

It seems more likely IMHO that there was a failure was due to the separation
of one of the tailplanes for reasons which have already been discussed.
Tailplane flutter may well have occurred when the tailplane disengaged the
drive pins but this would not be attributable wear in the system. The PFA's
current interest in the design of the pip pin recesses would lend weight to
this possibility.

Till we have the full findings of the AIIB we shouldnt be redesigning the
aeroplane based on such limited evidence (I know the PFA have asked for our
feedback on this).

I would hope that before changing the design the PFA or Europa will conduct
a survey amongst the current Europa fleet to establish if wear in the torque
assembly (post Mod62) is a genuine problem or a myth. My understanding is
that such a survey has not as yet been done - either by tha PFA or by the
factory, though no doubt the recent sales figures of Mod 62 kits will give
them a better idea.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS