RE: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:34:22

Hi Fred.

The castellated nut is a standard AN part and was chosen because the split
pins can be inspected visually at any time.
Nylocks would work perfectly - but there is no guarantee that somebody would
not re-use them and you cannot gauge the integrity by looking at them.

I specified zinc passivated mild steel for both on the grounds that the
coefficient of expansion is about the same as the TP4 and the risk of
galvanic action is reduced.
The truth is that you could probably make the discs out of an anodised alloy
with no ill effects - and save weight into the bargain.

Nigel