Europa-List: Re: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:31:44
In a message dated 6/26/2007 2:59:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

At this  time, we don't know that any wear (if it was actually present) did
cause
the flutter. The AAIB/PFA may decide that the evidence shows that it  did but
they haven't, to my knowledge, announced that yet.

Please  don't missunderstand me, I am all for improving the integrity of the
Europa
tailplane system but let's base the discussion on known facts rather  than
guesses.

Mark,

I'm not guessing about anything here. The purpose of the question I  posed
was entirely aimed at obtaining facts about whether or not  there anyone had
noticed a correlation between torque tube wear and  landing gear type, not to
guess whether or not tailplane flutter caused the  accident. It's the PFA that
is
all hot and bothered about  associating pitch system wear and tailplane
flutter, not me. It's the  PFA that has issued documents that infer a link to
sloppiness in the pitch  system to tailplane flutter based on a single, isolated

incident, and the  notion (or guess if you will) that tailplane flutter is what

caused the crash,  not me. It's the PFA that seems to be the one that is doing

 the guessing here, not me. All I did was read the documents the  PFA
released regarding this incident and, based on their  commentary, asked a
legitimate

question about whether anyone had  noticed a correlation between landing gear
type and torque tube  wear. Although it seems like an obvious question to me,
judging  by the responses thus far, apparently no one has bothered to look for

a  correlation.

If Europa 04 keeps records on who they've sold Mod 62 kits to and what  kind
of landing gear the aircraft uses, it would be easy to see if the wear on  the

torque tube(s) is more prevalent in mono's, trigears or neither. Since  the
PFA seems to be suggesting (guessing) that wear in the pitch  system possibly
lead to tailplane flutter which resulted in the recent crash in  the UK, it
stands to reason that the PFA would want to isolate those  aircraft where the
wear is more likely to occur, if indeed wear is more  prevalent in one type of

landing gear as opposed to another and if sloppiness in  the pitch system lead

to tailplane flutter and if that flutter caused the crash.  If indeed this is
the case, the focus of any corrective action should be  directed where it is
most needed. What the PFA has done so far is the  scatter-gun approach.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying