Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:40:56

We still can't avoid the question: why did this happen WHEN it did?
Mark makes a good point about slop, in any case, slop would normally
built up slowly. David's information about speed seems to rule that
out as a trigger event. Just a thought, but if one of the stabs
became disengaged, for any reason (sideways movement, loss of TP14D
pin - secured by a single small split pin) from the TP12/13 drive
flange, presumably the other stab would instantly be countering all
of the mass in the TP19 weights, thereby creating a sudden and huge
mass imbalance - enough to cause catastrophic flutter?

Willie