Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:56:28

Hi Carl,

> It isnt a matter of keeping people in the dark but of arriving at the
> correct conclusion. IMHO it is far better to say nothing than to arrive
> at a flawed judgement.

It's that attitude where i am pointing to, IMHO it's better to use all
brains available, feed all the facts and see where the discussion leads.
The change that the right solution is found is certainly not smaller. In a
way that is happening here. Excluding myself, there are some very
knowledgeable folks around here. The problem is that the facs are few and
secondhanded. And we all feel insecure.

> It is to be commended that the PFA have responded so quickly to this
> situation and I doubt very much if the answer is as clear cut as people
> may wish. At the moment their priority is to prevent a recurrence of
> this tragic accident even if it means barking up a few wrong trees. When
> they have had the opportunity to fully consider the evidence I am sure
> we will be amongst the first to hear.

Simply grounding every plane certainly makes the flying a lot safer, no
doubt about it. But it does not affect all Europas outside the UK. One
more reason for openess about what happened.

There are a lot of Europas flying around with sloppy tailplanes. Why did
this happen now and how and what evidence is there is what we would like
to hear. That will not impede the investigation, and maybe prevent
accidents outside the jurisdiction of the PFA.

> Purely on the speculation that one of the tailplanes may have moved
> outboard and disengaged the drive pins it is a possibility. However I
> think it highly unlikely that the disengaged tailplane could have
> "turned square" as has been suggested. If you consider the area of
> tailplane foreward of the torque tube as compared with the area behind,
> air pressure would keep the tailplane in line with the aircraft. I
> suspect that once disengaged from the drive pins the unrestrained
> tailplane would start to oscillate and then flutter.

Could it be that the moment the drive pins disengage the plane will
sharply dive or climb, resulting in the loose tailplane turning square?

> As for it being unlikely that flutter would occur at 90kts my
> understanding is that flutter can happen at any speed. What speed does
> it take to cause flags to flutter in the wind 10-20knots (even less).

Sure, but certainly less likely as close to VNE. The flags will flutter
quit a bit more too.

> I believe that if there had been a straightford and simple explanation,
> we would have heard by now.  It is in nobodys interests to keep us in
> the dark.

So,let'shave the facts. Conclusions may come later.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

http://www.europaowners.org/kit600