Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:35:18

Thanks, Jos, I share your frustration about not knowing the full
story (yet). Even when the immediate safety checks have been done it
will still be something of an act of faith that they will completely
preclude a repetition. I expect we'd all like to know very precisely
what happened before we could have full confidence that any
particular fix will prevent it from happening again. I also expect
that eventually we will reach that level of understanding and can go
back to trusting our beautiful little aeroplanes.

90kts was presumably the ground speed as taken from a radar trace.
Airspeed could easily have been +/- 30kts, maybe more, away from that
figure, given the effect of both wind and a possible steep dive.

Would a stab turn 90 degrees when its centre of pressure would be so
far aft of the torque tube? I would have expected it to continue to
point in roughly the right direction until and unless it came right off.

By the way, the Gasco seminar at Farnborough on 8 August is going to
include a tour of the investigation hangers where they do the
forensic analysis on recent wrecks. I believe that is where G-HOFC is
being examined.

Regards

Willie Harrison