Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:05:57

You make some fair points, Carl. I think police detectives call it
the ABC approach: Accept nothing, Believe nobody, Check everything.
I can only agree that it is in our interests that the investigators
take as much time as is needed to get the right answer, even though
that leads to short term anxiety and frustration.

I'm not sure I agree with what you say about stick forces since you
are not just trying to counter the deadweight of the remaining stab
but the dynamic forces from the self excited oscillation which is
drawing enormous energy out out the airflow.

I could imagine either or both  of the decoupled stabs fluttering. If
it is true that the tailplane fractured off the fuselage then it
suggests that structural oscillation in the fuselage may have been a
component of the flutter (?like the V-tailed Bonanzas??)

Willie Harrison