Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wikipedia's entry on flutter
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:01:46

It isnt a matter of keeping people in the dark but of arriving at the
correct conclusion. IMHO it is far better to say nothing than to arrive at a
flawed judgement.

And as for this being a British phenomenon what sparked off Tony Blairs war
on Iraq. The assumption that they had WMD with little or no evidence to back
it up. OK, sorry for getting political.

It is to be commended that the PFA have responded so quickly to this
situation and I doubt very much if the answer is as clear cut as people may
wish. At the moment their priority is to prevent a recurrence of this tragic
accident even if it means barking up a few wrong trees. When they have had
the opportunity to fully consider the evidence I am sure we will be amongst
the first to hear.

Purely on the speculation that one of the tailplanes may have moved outboard
and disengaged the drive pins it is a possibility. However I think it highly
unlikely that the disengaged tailplane could have "turned square" as has
been suggested. If you consider the area of tailplane foreward of the torque
tube as compared with the area behind, air pressure would keep the tailplane
in line with the aircraft. I suspect that once disengaged from the drive
pins the unrestrained tailplane would start to oscillate and then flutter.

What effect this disengagement would have on the remaining tailplane is hard
to predict. True there would now be an imbalance in the tailplane assembly
but any force exerted by the mass balance arm could be counteracted by force
applied to the control column. Have you never sat in the plane withouthe
tailplanes connected and moved the stick back and forth. It is heavy but not
impossible to move.

As for it being unlikely that flutter would occur at 90kts my understanding
is that flutter can happen at any speed. What speed does it take to cause
flags to flutter in the wind 10-20knots (even less).

I believe that if there had been a straightford and simple explanation, we
would have heard by now.  It is in nobodys interests to keep us in the dark.