Europa-List: Tailplane flutter & trim

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter & trim
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:30:17

Following on from my last post where I suggested that if tailplane flutter was
likely to occur then surely it would have been reported before now given the
fleet
hours. I am not aware of any cases, are you?

So assuming for the moment that tailplane flutter is unlikely to occur when
flying
at VNE even when some slop is present in the tailplane system, it begs the
question: why isn't it fluttering?

Well, I don't know about everyone else but when I do the VNE run the trim is set
to a much lower speed and, consequently, I have to push a lot on the stick to
make it go downhill. All that push force is being transmitted to the tailplanes
and so any slop (hypothetical slop, of course!) in the system is taken up.

However, if while at VNE I was so foolish as to start trimming forward, the
required
push force would reduce until it became zero (assuming the trimmer has enough
range) and, at that point, the tailplanes could, potentially, start to flutter
due to the slop no longer being taken up by the stick force.

I wonder if a Europa has ever been trimmed out at VNE? Did the factory do that
in their test flying?

I am not going to try the experiment to see what happens.

Perhaps those of you who understand these issues would care to comment?

Mark

Read this topic online here: