Re: Europa-List: glide ratio

Subject: Re: Europa-List: glide ratio
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:40:09

Roger, When my mono with speed kit was new and shiny, I did tests of glide
ratio at different speeds in a big blue gap over the Severn Estuary
(admittedly such air might have bee sinking marginally cutting a little bit
off the true ratio) I found that I had 1:12 at 75 kts with 70 or 80kts
making very little difference. You could argue that choosing 80 adds to your
safety without significant penalty, giving a better margin while you are
distracted by all the things you will be sweating over in the next few
minutes. Gliders with a minimal sink speed of 40 or 50 kts will typically
speed up to 60 kts (or greater in strong winds) to land to have spare energy
in hand to cope with loss of speed going through the wind gradient , etc.
Regards, David Joyce