RE: Europa-List: To Those That Have Sanded Before Me... :)

Subject: RE: Europa-List: To Those That Have Sanded Before Me... :)
From: Jack Hilditch <wmjack1@t3cs.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:53:45

Graham,

Agreed. All builders would be well advised to watch the mix consistency
carefully so as to prevent differing moduli of elasticity and (possible)
future problems during any lamination process. However, the step currently
under discussion is non-structural and really only about fairing reasonably
small areas. Filler depth should be quite thin (1/8" or less) so, while
sanding a catalyst-rich filler mix may be a bit more time consuming, it
really shouldn't be too bad.  If the areas requiring filler are large or
deep, other considerations may apply.

For all lamination processes it would be prudent to:
1.) Use a standard pump system to manage resin to catalyst ratio.
2.) Mix the two thoroughly before adding fillers.
3.) Measure any additives carefully.
4.) Thoroughly mix the additives into the resin matrix.
5.) Conduct all resin application operations within temperature and humidity
conditions specified by the resin manufacturer.

Assuming those steps are followed, the fairing layers should be nearly
identical in hardness.  The only time I ever saw hardness become a factor
was when the mixing process did not adhere to the proper ratio between resin
and catalyst or if the additive was sloppily blended into resin matrix.

Regards,

Jack