RE: Europa-List: To Those That Have Sanded Before Me... :)

Subject: RE: Europa-List: To Those That Have Sanded Before Me... :)
From: Jack Hilditch <wmjack1@t3cs.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:52:46
Composite racing sailboat builders use a technique that produces a fair
surface, without bumps or valleys, while minimizing weight or extra filler.
They screed the filler/resin mix onto the surface using a small-toothed,
serrated plastic trowel (the same kind used to apply ceramic tile cement to
walls).  After it cures they use a 'long board' to sand it down.  The 'long
board' is not a fixed size.  It can be 2" x 24" , 4" x 48" or any other
size, depending on the surface area to be sanded.  Most of them are made up
in the shop using a piece of planking with a couple of hand made handles
screwed to it and the sand paper glued or clamped to that.  The long board
rasps off the high areas, but leaves the valleys clearly identified by the
serrated 'stripes' of resin/filler.  On the next pass you only need apply
the mix to areas that remain 'striped'.  It saves work because the actual
surface area to be sanded is reduced to the high points or 'lands' left by
the serrated trowel rather than a raised patch left by a smooth trowel.  It
also saves on expensive resin. You get an additional bonus using the
technique in that the serrations also leave a greater surface area, and
irregular surface, for the next coat to bind with or key to.  Hope this
helps.  I spent plenty of time working on racing sailboats in the US and UK
so I know the technique works with resins from both sides of 'the pond'.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jack Hilditch

  _____