Europa-List: Rectifier-Regulator 91X

Subject: Europa-List: Rectifier-Regulator 91X
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:54:50

Fred

> rholder@avnet.co.uk wrote:

>> What I am getting is a visible current fluctuation,
>> which I believe is _caused_ by a less visible voltage
>>  fluctuation.

> It takes very little change in voltage to cause large
> swings in current.  Have you tried replacing the
> 22,000uf capacitor?  You stated that older regulators
> work, but a run of new ones do not.  It's possibe a
> redesign of the Rotax regulator circuit is more
> dependent upon the integrity of that big capacitor.
>
> Visible oscillation of the amp needle sounds like the
> difference between two high frequencies (beating)
> present both within and external to the regulator. If
> so, this would be evident at only specific RPMs, as you
>  report.
>
> Mounting thse big caps in the engine room is not good
> -- heat. This can accelerate failure.

Yup - I have changed the capacitor !

Some installations of the Rotax engine do not insist on
the capacitor !

I have had one respondent now (with the fluctuation) who
bought a RR dated July 05 so it could be that they changed
the design early in 2005.

Unfortunately most RR that were manufactured after that
time will have been sold with engines, which may well have
not yet been installed and run.

Richard who is using the fluctuating RR but has covered up
most of the ammeter to avoid distraction !