Re: Europa-List: Rectifier-Regulator 91X

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rectifier-Regulator 91X
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:25:22

Hi Ron and all,

>  ask
> more than 12 amps for a long time, you will cook the windings on the
> generator.

We treated the Rotax PM alternator VERY bad, and I can assure you the
windings are bullet proof up to the design 20 amps, for very long
periods of use.
It is still well and alive (seen the thermal images ?) in spite of the
abuse we imposed on it.

The weak link in the system is the Rotax regulator. The more you ask
---From it, the more it heats up, until it finally fries long before
reaching the advertised continuous  current.
> OK here's a question, how could the Rotax charging circuit be modified
> limit max. output to 12 amps?

No need : you just load it under 12 amp continuous.
In our setup, the max continuous load (day VFR) is under 10 amp, and our
Schicke (rated at about 16 amps) never exceeds 40C, according to my
little temperature sticker.

Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr