Re: Europa-List: Rectifier-Regulator 91X

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rectifier-Regulator 91X
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:27:48

Cliff Shaw a crit :
> Richard
>
> I had a concern regarding my regulator. I bought a new unit from
> Lockwood and temporally installed it yesterday.
>
> I was worried that the charge voltage was too low. It read 13.5
> volts when the load was about 4 amps. The new regulator was exactly
> the same.
>
> Your concern of voltage fluctuation was not observed on either of my
> regulators. They did very .2 volts with the landing lights turn on,
> but I expected that.

Gentlemen,

Maybe the small study we conducted on the Rotax regulator could be of
interest :

http://contrails.free.fr/elec_ducati_en.php

We found that the regulated voltage was around 13.5-13.8 V, quite in
accordance with the recent postings.
Also the B+ and R pins are internally connected. Remember that the case
must be suitably grounded, with a connection capable of at least 20 amps.

The key to achieving acceptable service life with the Rotax unit, is
cooling and low current draw. In my opinion, drawing more than a dozen
amps continuous is unwise and may lead to premature failure.

BTW, the G letters stand for "Giallo" (yellow), R for "Rosso".

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr