Re: Europa-List: Propellers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Propellers
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:16:32

I'm certainly not an expert, but I suspect that available ground
clearance and allowable prop diameter would factor into any
Europa/Katana comparison rather than the use of the same engine.

I suspect that with the small area of Europa prop, three blades can
absorb more hp for a given diameter at a given rpm than two blades, and
keeping the rpm down is key to the low noise level of the Europa.

A factor to consider w/ the Airmaster/Europa combination is the cut
down WD blade length which results in insufficient twist which in
turn...according to some knowledgeable folks I've corresponded
with...leads to negative thrust being generated by the inner portions
of the blade at coarse pitch. Airmaster acknowledges that the WP blades
are not optimal for the Europa due to diameter limits; unfortunately,
WD has no apparent interest in producing a small diameter blade w/ more
twist. I'm not familiar w/ the blades used in the Woodcomp set up.

Fred
A194