Re: Europa-List: Propellers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Propellers
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:41:18

I gained a solid 20 mph by dumping my NSI CAP140 3 bladed electrically
adjustable prop
with the Warp Drive blades for a custom designed fixed pitch 3 blade on my
125 hp EA81 powered mono.
  Whenever I flew with the NSI, I would be constantly fiddling with with the
pitch control.
It was just adding too much workload to be fun.  I really like the fixed
pitch.  It is far
smoother than the NSI and since it is custom fitted to my engine climbs just
as well.
  The WD blades were designed for a 100 mph max ultralight and have only an
18 degree
twist on a 74" blade.  All WD blades are cut down to length from the same
74" blanks.  When you cut them down to 64" they have even less twist.  A
proper twist for a 150 mph plane is between 40 and 45 degrees.  The WD
blades are a good climb type blade but were never designed for higher
speeds.
  I do have a slightly longer takeoff roll as I need some speed for the prop
to start to bite but
I fly off a 4700 ft runway so is not an issue for me.

                                                    Glenn
                                                    Golden, Colorado
                                                    USA