Re: Europa-List: 912S starting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912S starting
From: bryan allsop <info@blackballclub.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:38:10

Nigel,

I think the point has to be made  that the engine must be turning over
before switching in a mag. It is to do with the ignition timing being
slightly too advanced until full starter speed has been attained,
particularly with the higher compression ratio. With any mags.switched in,
pre-ignition can cause kick-back.
For me, the answer would be to keep the key switch for starting, and fit a
couple of self returning single pole lever switches for the mags.

Speaking as an Engineer (which I rarely do these days), I would rule out the
use of relays unless there was simply no alternative.

Best regards.    Bryan