Europa-List: 912S starting

Subject: Europa-List: 912S starting
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:04:11

Continuing the saga of my completely-non-starting-912S.

Well, I spent the morning stripping out the carbs. They were perfect - no
dirt at all.

My starting failures now seem to have joined the array of 912S problem
engines. It would seem that about 1 in 20 of these engines end up with the
kick-back problem, and I've got one :-(

I spoke to Jerry Davis of Lyndhurst and he had three suggestions which can
be done in turn.

1. Fit a Red Top battery, which is designed to give a high starting current

2. Fit the Rotax solution which is a higher powered starter motor

3. Rebuild my sprag clutch.

I have ordered #1 and to be certain it has the best chance of working I will
initially test it on the firewall with really short leads.

There is some doubt about the newer starter motor. I have heard that it
won't fit and I have heard it will fit. I have a Classic fuselage with the
XS firewall forward set-up. Has anyone got the dimensions of the bigger
starter motor ? I have plenty of length available but little additional
width. Better still - has anyone installed one of these starter motors ? Did
it come with a new support strap, or did it use the original (implying that
it is the same diameter)

I have removed the blanking plate on the back of the engine. Access to the
flywheel is quite reasonable.

Can the starter motor be removed and replaced without removing the engine ?
Can the flywheel be removed in situ ? Can the sprag clutch be done in situ
after removing the flywheel ? Loads of questions - sorry.

Does anyone have a manual which gives details ? In have the "Rotax
Maintenance" manual but that only covers routine maintenance like oil
changes. Is there a workshop manual which would give a breakdown of how the
flywheel and sprag clutch interact ?

I am sure there isn't a Haynes manual for it :-)

The manual I have talks of "the crankshaft locking screw (part no 240 880)
which is part of the standard tool kit supplied with each engine". Does
anyone HAVE one of these. I don't remember seeing it !

Writing with a disfunctional aircraft

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)