RE: Europa-List: 912S starting

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912S starting
From: Land Shorter <landshorter2@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:20:21

While you're on the subject just a note... when starting the 912S be extra
careful
to not advance the throttle too quickly, especially when the engine is hot.
A fellow S-7 buddy just recently caught his engine on fire doing this very
thing.   Having the HD starter helps in this regard (more positive start, less
chance of kickback and backfire).

Also keep in mind that the proper technique for an engine fire is to keep
turning
the engine over and trying to start it.  Usually this will "suck" the fire
out.  In my buddies' case he didn't realize his engine was on fire but
fortunately
someone in the hangar grabbed an extinguisher and put it out before it caused
too major of damage.

FWIW I have a newer 912S with the HD starter and the slipper clutch and it has
always started fantastic without kickback.  I'm a big fan of having all the help
I can get on start.  I have an RG battery and that seems to help as well.

Joa
www.landshorter.com