Re: Europa-List: 1st Stupid Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 1st Stupid Question
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:18:12

>In a message dated 9/12/2003 12:14:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>RobH@hyperion-ef.com writes:
>
>  > What's the denatured alcohol for?
>  >

>Cleaning up sissors and squeegees after using them on wet epoxy. Vinegar
>works too, especially if you happen to get resin on bare skin.

Folks - don't use ANY solvent in trying to remove epoxy from skin! If
you apply acetone or alcohol to epoxy on your skin, the solvent
immediately makes the epoxy much more mobile, right down to the
molecular level, I understand. This means that the epoxy-laden
solvent will migrate right into the surface layers of your skin where
you can't wash it off, and you don't want that to happen.

To get epoxy off skin, the best plan is to not get it on there in the
first place. Plan B is to use a hand cleaner such as Fast Orange,
Swarfega or similar, as soon as possible after the contamination. It
appears that the longer the epoxy is in contact with your skin, the
more likely you are to develop adverse reactions.

I also agree with other posters about the desirability of protecting
your mucous membranes with an organic-vapour mask. Even if you never
touch the epoxy, the vapours can set up an allergic reaction if you
let them play on those delicate tissues.

regards

Rowland