Re: 2 items - service bulletins on Rotax and

Subject: Re: 2 items - service bulletins on Rotax and
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:27:33
Peter,

At cruise we see temps from 160 degF (winter) to 200 degF (summer). Climb temps
get as high as 220 degF (summer). Prolonged ground running gets coolant temps
up to 235 degF, but once the plane starts moving (on the take off roll), the
coolant temp starts coming down in a matter of seconds.
Our oil temps track fairly close to coolant, with a much longer response time
constant.
We were somewhat worried that the winter temps (about 160 degF) were
not getting warm enough to clear the water and volatiles out of the oil. We
found
that the standard oil temp location (just after the oil pump) is at almost
the coolest part of
the oil system. Placing another temp probe at the oil reservoir inlet, we found
the oil temps there to be 48 degF higher in climb, and about 40 degF higher in
cruise than was measured at the factory 'standard'  location, warm enough to
clear the water out of the oil, even on a cold winter day.
We boiled over into the coolant bottle (the standard Rotax bottle) once during
ground testing. The excess came out our vent tube. Note that we reduxed a brass
tube (about 1/8") into the top of the bottle itself (not the cap) and attached
a tube to carry any overflow out the bottom of the cowl.

Terry Seaver
Pleasanton, CA
N135TD

Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> Just wondering..... what kind of  _coolant_  temps are folks seeing;
> @cruise?
> @climb?
> @taxiing?
>
> Is anyone out there measuring it?
>
> I am asking the question with full understanding that it depends upon outside
air temp (and speed/power setting) since there is no thermostat in the rotax
plumbing. I would assume that the highest temps would be during a prolonged
taxi.
In that case, are folks blowing coolant out the bottle vent when/if it gets
to over-pressure?