Re: 2 items - service bulletins on Rotax and

Subject: Re: 2 items - service bulletins on Rotax and
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:54:58
 <9F7CCD5AA88D1B46A911658D80F960B8017467@zserver2.Zutrasoft1.zutrasoft.com>

My experience with the overheating problem is that the 914 will not overheat
in cruise or climb if you stay faster than 120MPH.   At slower climb speeds
it will blow coolant out of the bottle and overheat if you continue for more
than about a minute.  That allows you to take off and get to pattern
altitude the level off and get some speed.  It will overheat if the outside
temp is 30 degrees and you try climbing at 90-100 MPH for any sustained
length of time.  On the ground the engine will overheat in summer 70 degree
temp if you sit more than about 5-10 minutes.  I am using a 50% mixture.
That's my experience after 88 hours.  I am considering a cowl flap.
I see the AirForce has a 914 powered drone.  How big is their radiator?
Ken Carpenter
A123   N9XS