Re: static sparks

Subject: Re: static sparks
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:36:01
clevelee@cswebmail.com wrote:

> ...I've installed a 16 ga ground wire from the filler
> aluminum cap neck (had to cut out the filler neck to allow room for the
> terminal
> secured to a flat made in the threads of the aluminum part) and have installed
> the 1 watt 1 meg ohm resister that is recommended en-rout to the engine
> ground.

To save shopping time, a 1/2-watt resistor is much more common and
sufficient.  The average static spark event we experience is just
barely enough to ignite fuel vapor, and equates to a couple watts for
a few milliseconds.  Converted to heat, a 1/8-watt resistor would
barely notice it, nor is #16 wire similarly called for - dealing in
microamps here, else the static shocks that we feel would be lethal!

Although it may be harmless, does anyone have an authoritative source
stating this resistor is beneficial?  The only such sources I can find
say that the resistance of electrical bonding (here from the filler
cap thru like the exhaust pipe) to the fuel source should be 20K or
less. Why do we want to increase this to 1 meg??

Regards,
Fred F.