Re: static sparks

Subject: Re: static sparks
From: William Mills <combined.merchants@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:22:24
Graham and All,

IMHO this would be a very good subject to air on the forum.  I have taken
what I believe to be safety measurers, but it may not be sufficient.  I have
a copper wire ( the earth (or ground) wire from a domestic ring main type
cable) that runs down inside the fuel hose into the tank and I hope touches
the tank bottom.  The other end is trapped between the top of the hose and
the metal orifice.  It is also linked to the fuel sight gauge vent to
provide something on which to clip an external wire.  It is also linked to
the tail strobe earth wire so as to provide continuity to the aircraft earth
system and to the exhaust pipe (airfield fuel pump earthing technique).  I
use steel jerry cans for refuelling with Mogas and I always try to touch the
can on the vent pipe before filling so as to neutralise any voltage
differential.  Is this fool-proof, or can anyone suggest an improvement to
this technique?

Very best wishes to you all for a Happy Christmas and Safe Flying and
Filling for the New Year,

William