Re: Seatback sight tube

Subject: Re: Seatback sight tube
From: Fergus Kyle <f.kyle@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:58:43

----- Original Message -----
From: <clevelee@cswebmail.com>

> I think I missed the start of this thread.
>
> I've put in a capacitance probe in my tank, but still have the site tube
coiled
> up in the pilots seat (I'm still building)watching this thread with
interest.

> Say again what's wrong with the factory location, in front of the pilot -
for
> those of us developing geriatric backs?
>
> I don't like site tubes because they are not 'modern' and look homebuilt.
But if
> we're putting them in because we can't see how fueling is going or can't
'dip'
> the tank prior to launching off - what's wrong with the factory location?
>
> Cleve Lee
> A198 Mono XS N396ST
> Detroit, MI
Cleve:
            I can't answer for the more experienced but I believe the sight
tube at the front of the cockpit gives  caution to some on several counts:
(1) it's so far removed from the tank that when the fuselage is not
horizontal (climbing, descending) the error is difficult to correct,
(2) it adds several extra feet to fuel-carrying lines inside the cockpit,
(3) the vent for it is longer than if it were aside the tank, and the
tankside sight makes it easier to vent .
Cheers, Ferg