Re: Seatback sight tube

Subject: Re: Seatback sight tube
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 05:05:45
Message text written by Brian Rauchfuss - PCD
>Do you mean that people switch to aluminum lines because they are smaller
in diameter and fit in the tunnel better, or because they are safer in
a fire?  I am a little nervous about aluminum, since if it is not well
installed it can crack due to vibration.<

Both these advantages are relevent but also durability is an asset. I
intend to change over to aluminium lines when it is time to renew the
existing rubber pipes. Replacing the rubber pipes every 5 years or so is a
job I could do without. I assume vibration would only be a problem at the
point where the pipework transfers from the airframe to the engine. If
necessary a short length of rubber pipe could be used here. The
certificated Rotax engines use aluminium pipes between the mechanical pump
and the carbs so if installed properly it shouldn't be an issue.

Nigel Charles