Re: Seatback sight tube

Subject: Re: Seatback sight tube
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 01:15:17

>Do you mean that people switch to aluminum lines because they are smaller
>in diameter and fit in the tunnel better, or because they are safer in
>a fire?  I am a little nervous about aluminum, since if it is not well
>installed it can crack due to vibration.
>
>Brian

It's not difficult to install aluminum well. Just expensive, unfortunately.
It IS difficult to stop flexibles from degrading with the aggressive
chemicals the oil barons put into mogas these days to replace the lead.
It's also impossible to avoid the physical degradation that results every
time you check the inline filters for contamination which cannot be seen
through the (easily broken) glass. IMHO
Crash resistance is another question, but in a bad crash, like mine,
neither fuel line will survive, metal or flexible. If it is a less major
crash at least there's a good chance you will be able to climb out, in all
probability. Again, my own guess, based on painful experience.
Graham