Re: Fuel tank sight gauge routing

Subject: Re: Fuel tank sight gauge routing
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:01:03
> Graham, Why do we want to put the fuel return up at the vent fitting rather
> than down at the reserve side fuel outlet?
> Kevin A211

I had 'discussions'  with PFA Engineering about this when putting in a mod to
replumb the fuel system in aluminium.

They don't seem all that happy about returning the fuel to the bottom of the
tank because of the possibility of immediate recirculation - returned bubbles
finding their way almost immediately back to the feed in use, though clearly
they have sanctioned the arrangement the factory uses.  Whether this would ever
happen in practice seems dubious.

The reason they preferred the return line to go to the vent boss at the upper
rear of the tank is that in the event of a serious engine room fire which
consumed the fuel flexible hoses, the unvalved return line could feed the entire
tank contents into the fire.  With the high level return this will not happen ,
unless you are in an unusual attitude.  So this is what I have done.

John Cliff