Re: Fuel tank sight gauge routing

Subject: Re: Fuel tank sight gauge routing
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:29:06
Bob Harrison wrote:

> Hi! Dave.
> I tried just that with a ball out of a battery hydrometer....... it sank
> like a lead brick!!!
> What's needed is one that floats in the fuel of specific gravity .....? and
> isn't susceptible to degenerate chemically in the fuel? Any suggestions
> chaps?
> regards
> Bob Harrison  G-PTAG

Laminating resin + microballoons will float in fuel I know.  One might
thus try tinting it red or such, cure a little chunk of it and file
down to proper sized ball with a hobby file and/or Dremel tool.  Paint
over with pure tinted resin.  Systemthree.com has genuine epoxy
tints.  Suspect that the "universal" tints available in paint stores
cheap will do too, as only a few drops needed.  Test for long time in
fuel of course.

Best,
Fred F.