Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH

Subject: Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:48:11
<<<<There is another method - get a welder to fill in the original hole, drill
and tap.  I think I would trust that more than a helicoil, especially on
something that's proven to be a critical component.
Cheers, Mark.>>>>

Mark,
I think that welding may be unwise. Helicoil inserts are well proven
technology and made with excellent material, they are very durable. The
finished internal threads in place are very good quality and stronger than the
original.

Drawbacks to welding include finding a welder competent to weld aluminium
alloy and also the heat affected zone from any welding will affect the
properties of the parent material. Sounds dodgy to me. Alternatively, one
could buy a new cylinder head. This is important stuff and a little investment
is better than one's neck.

Cheers, John

Mono XS, 912S, A099, N262WF