Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH

Subject: Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:15:14

> I can't remember without looking at the engine - but does anyone know
> whether it would be practical/permissible/appropriate to drill a hole in
the
> bolt head and apply wire-locking as a precaution?
> Regards
> Roger Mills

Although not a bad idea, I can't see that it would stop the thread
stripping.

I don't know this engine, but I had a similar problem on a motor bike with 2
x M6 bolts into about 5mm of cast ali.  Not a good design!  I ended up
tapping the holes to a course 8mm, which felt stronger and I had a lot more
confidence in it.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590