Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH

Subject: Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:30:21
The original message said the bolt was stripped, which is easy to do
w/o a torque wrench.  But it's also noteworthy that it isn't necessary
to have a loose cover bolt, tossing oil, to cause big problems.  The
maintenance manual states that an air leak past the O-rings can cause
oil to pool and foam in the crankcase, if the blow-by gasses cannot
send it to the external cooler and tank.  There's even a little O-ring
to seal the attach bolt, which is easy to lose or damage.  Thus the
importance of having a manual, but not just for torque values, as here
the torque is the same as any generic M6 bolt.

Rotax does not specify a Loctite for this bolt.  It's easy to remove
oil from the bolt, but not the oily threads in the boss on the head.
I don't think there's any Loctite'd bolt inside the engine where oil
abounds, as Loctite could be effective except when assembled new.
Safety wire I'm sure would be, but ineffective if over-torqued to near
failure.  It's also easy to periodically check the torque with a
simple metric Allen wrench.  Had there been any failures not related
to improper maintenance, I think there would be an SB by now?

Regards,
Fred F.