Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH

Subject: Re: Rotax engine failure in G-BWGH
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:08:25

> Hi! Mark.
> I would not be happy with a weld and changes to molecular structure round
> the hole , much better to re-tap it oversize ,but then it depends on
> available metal as indeed a helicoil would.
> Cheers
> Bob H.

Yeah, I think I'd rather see a tapped hole as well.  As for the weld, I
guess it depends on the item that needs to be welded.  I've had everything
---From pistons to cylinder heads welded and never had any problems, but it
doesn't matter so much if the engine on a bike cuts out (I wouldn't fancy
being shot by the rear piston on my Harley going through it's cylinder head
though!).

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590