Re: Speed Kit

Subject: Re: Speed Kit
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:31:02
Very interesting, Hans.  Wing aerodynamics could play a role also, as
in a laminar flow wing there is a "bucket" of low drag at low lift
coefficients, ideally at design cruise speed.  The laminar bucket on
Mike Arnold's record-holding AR-5 is so pronounced that the pilot can
feel her going in, or dropping out, such as in a steep bank
(reportedly like "hitting a wall of feathers").  However, it
accelerates into the bucket on its own, without need to dive into it.
But on Rutan's Voyager as described in Rutan & Yaeger's book, there's
frequent discussion of the "bucket," and the struggle it was early in
the flight, due to weight of fuel, to stay in that region.  I can't
recall from the book now, but I suspect they tried diving into a lot.
Their fuel computations demanded they stay in the bucket.  They did
not have fuel quantity gauges -- tank design would have rendered them
useless -- and fuel remaining was a serious worry throughout the
round-the-world flight.

Regards,
Fred F.