RE: Speed Kit

Subject: RE: Speed Kit
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:37:11

It is real! Check out a PA28 manual - the Warrior I learned in would settle
at 110kts (if I remember right) or so at 2300rpm when throttling back from
full power on reaching 100kts or so, or 120kts at 2300rpm if you throttled
back from full power on reaching that higher speed. I remember clearly my
instructor demonstrating it to me and my flight-test examiner doing the same
when I throttled back early on the climb out from a PFL.

The reason is the shape of the drag curve. The drag is the same at both
speeds, and equals the thrust from the engine+prop at 2300rpm. To get the
higher speed you have to get the plane over the higher drag in between those
speeds by using more power or diving. My instructor/examiner both talked
about 'getting onto the back of the drag curve'.

And yes, I do mean drag rises then falls slightly as speed increases! Does
anyone know the reason for sure? Pitch attitude higher at 110kts than 120kts
would be my guess.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey