Speed Kit

Subject: Speed Kit
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 14:55:58

Hi Folks,

One thing I noticed when I fly is if I level off at - say - 3,500 ft let the
speed build, throttle back to say 5,000 rpm I get around 115 kt indicated. If
I climb to 3,600 ft first then gently point the nose down to bring me back
down to 3,500 ft and let the airspeed gets up to around 125 kt indicated,
throttle back to 5,000 rpm the airplane settles back to 120 kt indicated
(where it stays). Don't know if its some weird aerodynamic thing but it seems
by pushing it over its normal cruise speed first then letting it settle back
to its own cruise speed, you get a few knots more than if you were to let it
make its own way up.

I haven't taken any scientific measurements just an observation of the ASI.

Anyone else found this? Any ideas?

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas