speed kits

Subject: speed kits
From: Augustene Brown <augustene@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:28:17
I would like to expand on the comments Shaun Simpkins made about our 914
Mono wheel. N398JB.

His memory is correct, we saw a small increase in the installation of
the speed kit, in the range of 1 to 2 kts. In discussions with some of
the other 914 pilots I am hearing the same thing.

Some of the 912 operators that I have talked to have indicated that
their increase was in range of 4 to 5 kts. I am not an engineer so I
have a question?

Could the difference be that the 914 engines are pulling the airframe
about as fast as the drag will allow in cruise, and the 912
installations are having a greater benefit from the speed kits
installation due to their lower cruise speeds.

Our mono wheel has the 914 coupled with the Airmaster prop. My figures
were arrived by using 5300 RPM, 33" MP,  Indicated airspeed was 142 kts
at 6000 ft. here in Florida after installation of the speed mod..

Jim Brown
A094