Re: Speed Kit

Subject: Re: Speed Kit
From: Thomas Scherer <europa81@web.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:04:22

Hi !

Ivan Shaw labeled this way of cruise-setup "flying on the step" - a term that he
derived from floatplane flying. He recommended to perform all measurements after
a shallow dive or a run at higher rpm.

I had much time to verify this theory during my Ocean crossings. It is only a
temporary
effect. After some 10 minutes of flying the plane will settle to the
same speed as if you had come from the lower side of the curve.

Yet this discussion makes me think... people are stating very impressive speeds.
My Europa will - after all improvements - stop accelerating at 124 knots IAS
(2000 ft, standard day). It is a Europa Classic with a 912 and an Airmaster
prop.
It feels like an aerodynamic barrier to me. Yet in a dive she will quickly
reach 140 kn.

I did not make very good measurements, but I am positive to have obtained a 10
kn gain from the speed kit along with taping over the wing-to-root joint.

Only after those mods did she obtain the self-set goal of 1oo kn @ 10 litres/hr.

Sincerely,

<Thomas, N81EU>