Update on N81EU

Subject: Update on N81EU
From: Thomas Scherer <europa81@web.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:04:19
Hello,

wanted to give you an update on N81EU after we have now settled in Ulan
Bator, Mongolia.

After the big flight from Anchorage to Ulan Bator in Aug / Sept this year I
could finally remove the fake callsign (of a real existing German Katana)
and get back to normal. Had even removed the Experimental sticker with the
help of the servicemen at Shemya, US-Airbase on the Aleutians. This had been
done for Japan and China where homebuilts are not welcome. So I told them
something about a modified-Tail Katana. Haha !

[when I left Japan, the Airport director came close to me and said: "nice
Europa you have there"].

Anyway, it was another bureaucratic ordeal to finally get a permit to fly
freely in the Land of Chinggis Khan, yet now we have 13 Flights in Mongolia
under our belt and she is the first private plane to fly here. The German
public TV broadcaster ZDF came two weeks ago to include N81EU in a programme
that will be aired on Jan. 2 & 3, 2oo2 in Germany. If someone could make a
copy...

Now it is too cold to fly: Minus 37 deg C today (Fahrenheit won't differ
much anymore). So we went and flew our paragliders in the steelblue skies.
It is all a question of warm shoes. Brrrrrr.....

I am thinking about a 914 as field elevation is already 4200 ft (and all
those encouraging messages).

And I am thinking of Australia next year on our way back to Germany to close
the ORBIT around the world. She won't stay in Germany though... I want to
fly her across the Atlantic one more time to take her to the country of her
origin. So, if someone in Europe has no better plan for summer 2oo2 - lets
go to Oshkosh in formation.

Sincerely,

<Thomas, N81EU>