Re: Speed Kit

Subject: Re: Speed Kit
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:38:14
I thought the reason is it that, as you approach cruise speed for any
given trim, it takes a long time to finally get there, so I can
'demonstrate' it too.  The S-Tec (autopilot) web site contains an
article debunking it.  Otherwise, aerodynamics texts and NASA research
would document the phenomenon.  They don't, and a credible answer as
to why not will bring me into the faith, honest.  Like conspiratorial
holdover from the Cold War, 'cuz the Russians never caught on. :-)

Regards,
Fred F.

> It is real! Check out a PA28 manual  the Warrior I learned in would settle at
110kts
> (if I remember right) or so at 2300rpm when throttling back from full power on
reaching
> 100kts or so, or 120kts at 2300rpm if you throttled back from full power on
> reaching
> that higher speed. I remember clearly my instructor demonstrating it to me and
my
> flight-test examiner doing the same when I throttled back early on the climb
out from
> a PFL.

> The reason is the shape of the drag curve. The drag is the same at both
> speeds,
and