RE: Fuel Smell

Subject: RE: Fuel Smell
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:29:41

I can confirm that this Europa, based in SE England and filled with locally
obtained unleaded mogas
also 'smells of fuel' from time to time. It appears to be more obvious in
summer and when the tank is full.

My suspicion is that the smell originates at the fuel filler pipe.

I have fitted the larger XS style baggage bay mod.

I believe it's a fairly common problem in this aircraft.

Alan

PS. Flew today in a constant wind of around 40 mph at 1500 ft. GPS forward
speed was reduced to 6 - 10 mph just above
the flaps down stall. Must have looked a bit peculiar from the ground,
particularly when the I did a 180 and flew off
with engine firewalled in the opposite direction, at around 200mph.

Wind strength on the airfield wasn't excessive.

.... not recommended at low altitude of course. The flap down stall can be
vicious, although today it was possible to
 avoid it altogether, in light of the smooth conditions.