Fuel Smell

Subject: Fuel Smell
From: Tom & Cathy Friedland <tfriedland@home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:34:11
A few weeks ago I posted a couple messages about the gasoline smell
passing through the supplied fuel filler hose.  I was surprised to find
that there was little interest in this problem.  John Hurst at Lakeland
responded as said to forward it to Andy directly if I wanted his
response.  I  did that but have not received any reply.

The problem:  It has been reported that the hose was porous and that the
smell would transverse the wall thickness.  I plugged both ends of my
piece with auto gas inside.  In a few weeks the smell was so bad I had
to remove it from a large garage space.  I cannot imagine what the
effect would be in a Europa cockpit!  After emptying it and now 2 weeks
later, it still stinks just as bad.

Jim Thursby suggested red stripe marine fuel hose but the manufacturer
states that it can be use for fuel transfer but cannot have fuel present
all of the time as the fuel will dissolve the hose!

I read somewhere NACA fuel filler hose will work.  I obtained some, put
the gas in and sealed the ends.  Now, only about 2 weeks later,  there
is a small but definite fuel odor on the hose.

Is this a problem only for those using Yankee auto gas?  It is a big
problem for me.  Anyone else?

Andy, can you please provide a solution?

Tom Friedland A079 XS Mono J3300 N96V