Re: Fuel Smell

Subject: Re: Fuel Smell
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:41:52
Tom, here is the results of a quick web search, which you probably have already
tried.

The search was on 'rubber hose material gasoline'.  The common denominator
appears
to be nitril as the specific elastomer component.  I have not as yet tested
the materials, but I like your idea of doing that.  Certainly there is a marine
or automotive spec that makes the grade.

Cleve Lee
A198 Mono XS
Detroit, MI

On Mon, 26 November 2001, Tom & Cathy Friedland wrote:

> A few weeks ago I posted a couple messages about the gasoline smell
> passing through the supplied fuel filler hose.  I was surprised to find
> that there was little interest in this problem.  John Hurst at Lakeland
> responded as said to forward it to Andy directly if I wanted his
> response.  I  did that but have not received any reply.
>
> The problem:  It has been reported that the hose was porous and that the
> smell would transverse the wall thickness.  I plugged both ends of my
> piece with auto gas inside.  In a few weeks the smell was so bad I had
> to remove it from a large garage space.  I cannot imagine what the
> effect would be in a Europa cockpit!  After emptying it and now 2 weeks
> later, it still stinks just as bad.
>
> Jim Thursby suggested red stripe marine fuel hose but the manufacturer
> states that it can be use for fuel transfer but cannot have fuel present
> all of the time as the fuel will dissolve the hose!
>
> I read somewhere NACA fuel filler hose will work.  I obtained some, put
> the gas in and sealed the ends.  Now, only about 2 weeks later,  there
> is a small but definite fuel odor on the hose.
>
> Is this a problem only for those using Yankee auto gas?  It is a big
> problem for me.  Anyone else?
>
> Andy, can you please provide a solution?
>
> Tom Friedland A079 XS Mono J3300 N96V

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!
 250 FREE hours! Sign-on Now!