Re: Fuel Smell

Subject: Re: Fuel Smell
From: Tom & Cathy Friedland <tfriedland@home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:30:29
Thanks Andy

I will look forward to getting and testing a replacement.  My hose is marked:
04:45, 13 Aug 98, XFSO7.  My test involved blocking both ends with auto gas in
the hose.  The hose not only smells terrible, but is actually damp on the
exterior
which makes me wonder if it would not be a fire hazard.

---From the number of e-mail replies to my post, I suspect that there are many
defective
hoses.  Certainly, if fuel is not filled to the point that it is in the
hose, it may not weep.  Clear polyurethane is available in 2 inch ID and would
be an  interesting substitute as one could then see the fuel and be
able to tell when the tank was full!

Thanks Again

Tom Friedland A 079

Andy Draper wrote:

> Dear Tom,
>
> I apologise if I didn't respond to any e-mails that you had previously sent.
This is due to them not being received by me in the first place I'm afraid.
At least I have no record of them being received in the last 30 days (my system
deletes the trash after this time).

> Regarding the fuel smell issue with relation to the fuel filler hose,  I have
been investigating this since Ron Jones advised me of a problem where his hose
seemed to be leeching fuel.  Is this the same problem that you have?
> Although no reason for this happening has been identified so far, with the
> assumption
that there may be a material / batch problem I have secured a new batch
of these hoses, one of which will be sent to you.  Would you please let me
know the result of fitting it to your aircraft, say after a week or so?
> We have been supplying these hoses since the XS was introduced and only
> recently
have there been complaints such as yours, so although it's puzzelling to have
a problem now I'm confident that a solution will be found.

>  Please note that Tech support addresses are either andy, neville or
> roger@europa-aircraft.com.
Messages sent to one of these addresses will arrive directly
to our desks and will be responded to quickly.