Re: Fuel system changes

Subject: Re: Fuel system changes
From: tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:43:13
> it seems that there's a high % of
> posts here re fuel problems and resultant builder mods and even
> "un-mods."  Unlike other kitplane email lists I've browsed.

It would be interesting to find out how many people flying have _actually_ had

a fuel problem or whether the redesigns are simply based on something that
somebody "thinks" will resolve a problem that "may" be there.

I very much suspect that the majority of Europas currently flying have the
original fuel system layout and have logged thousands of hours between them
without problems other than the one related to fuel tank swarf during early
hours of operation...in which case the second filter comes in very handy!

We had one clogged filter in 230 recorded hours and it looks like the filters
in the aircraft had over 170 hours use on them as the filter change wasn't in
the maintenance schedule. The maintenance schedule for this particular aircraft

now includes a filter check and change.

I might add that in NZ the maintenance schedule for custombuilt aircraft is
written on an aircraft by aircraft basis as each aircraft is considered to be
unique. It appears that the filter check may have been missed out because the
company contracted to certify the aircraft and write the maintenance schedule
following the aircraft's importation into the country didn't bother to look for

filters under the seats.

Tony

Tony

Tony